Skip to main content

Joan Eardley (1921 – 1963) was here

Thank you to historian Jim Snee for confirming this is the Sincil Bank School.

It is where 25 year old painter Joan Eardley spent time in 1946 working with local children on a mural (which has since been lost to time - 'Hey, have they checked the loft?! How about the basement?!').  It is down a side road about 200 m from my house and Jim informed me that structurally it is exactly as it was at that time, the central section having been rebuilt between the two side towers (seperate entrances for girls and boys) in 1937, before she was there. I had hoped it was this building, as it means I can imagine her coming and going along the roads around here.

It might have been -2 degrees with the wind chill today, and stood in the drizzling rain, but it still felt a.ma.zing standing there.

Thanks so much to Jim for taking this detour at my request on the group heritage trail walk this afternoon.