Skip to main content

Mandy Barker at The Collection, Lincoln



There were about twenty people at the photographer Mandy Barker's talk this evening at The Collection. 

I was impressed by the show when it opened a month ago, but left thinking it problematic. But having read and watched her interviews over the last couple of evenings I had formed the opinion, despite that, she is in fact a British photographer of real significance - and that's a rare thing. Does she even know that?

But, after her presentation, as the room emptied and the curator's hand hovered over the light switch, I did pose my impertinent suggestion that in taking nondescript found plastic ocean detritus and making powerful images from them they could also be read as celebration of plastic pollution. These words, shamed as I am in writing them, only really confirm that there is a price for being clumsy and inept. I don't think it's broken but my nose is still bleeding from the left hook, but worse, I left feeling like a twat. And it was raining. I deserved it.

Back home and too late to make a proper meal, so snacking on cheese and pickle on small slices of bread,  a salted caramel oat bar (dipped in chocolate on the bottom), dry roast peanuts, some fruit and nut chocolate bar, and McVities digestive biscuits dipped in sweet tea. And 
a banana, They all helped, in their own way, but only while eating, not so much afterwards.

I then wrote a short email apologising. Yes, it was that bad. I'm not expecting a reply*

Most people don't need to be told, but for others, like myself, no, listen ye, never say anything that is not 'you're amazing' to anyone, ever. Especially if they are amazing. 

27.11.21 I did get a reply from Mandy, generously gifting me a free pass on having said anything out of turn : )