Skip to main content

the season of mists and mellow paranoia

Probably as a result of watching the Smithsonian discussion on Diane Arbus last night and then this morning listening to an interview with Sasha Freyer about her Winogrand documentary I was out of bed early and after breakfast cycling off through countryside drowning in mist to photograph the hedges, again.  It was frosty and as I couldn't find my gloves was reduced to wearing yesterday's socks on my hands, grabbed off the floor as I was going out the door.

Visibility was poor but despite that within minutes of pulling off the main road five miles later onto the track along the side of the airbase a khaki-coloured land rover turned up and a chat happened. I've been watched before but this was the first time in five years going there that questions were actually raised. It was more awkward than tense but they were respectful and fine.  Having said that, and possibly as a result of watching too many of a certain sort of thriller, I did cycle home somewhat anxiously, with the conversation having ended with, 'be careful you don't get run over on the ride back'.

My other concern cycling back was not getting to Tesco in time to get a freshly baked farmhouse cottage loaf, to make a fried egg sandwich. Both fears proved to be totally unfounded.