Skip to main content

after the fall

I woke up this morning with the crash still reverberating through the air of what sounded like one of the last bits of building still standing (an office block) having been brought down at the local demolition site nearby. After breakfast I detoured my cycle ride in to work to take a look. The gates were open and parked outside were several cars with doors left open as workers in high-vis clothing stopped work for their elevenses.

As there's been a truck left parked behind this gate recently (every time they knock off and lock up) it meant that it was only during working hours that I was ever going to get a panorama of the view across the site, to continue the series of weekly images that I've been taking for several months. It's been blocked for a long time. Seeing all the workers I nearly abandoned the plan for another day when I could be more circumspect, but nah, rolled my bike up against a fence and just set myself up in the middle of the open gateway.  It definitely felt a bit cheeky but no-one seemed to mind (or if they did they didn't let me hear what they had to say about it). One bloke walking by me joked about offering me a job, (maybe I've beenseen there too often).

I only took a few shots so I have an up to date referencing of the point at which nothing much is now left standing, and not wanting to presume upon anyone's patience by taking too long and getting in the way. Some people nodded to me as I turned to leave, who knows, perhaps aware there may be some kind of seriousness in me being so determined to take photographs there, if nothing more than acknowledging the impact of what they were doing, clearing away those relics of old industry to make room, for something new.