Skip to main content

One last traverse, the middle of the afternoon

As accurately predicted by the Met office (credit where due), the heavy clouds had melted away yesterday by mid-afternoon, replaced by warming mid-August sunshine and a mid-blue sky. The 1400 page fence book had finished on a section made in July 14 so I cycled back to produce one more set, four years on from then as a kind of footnote. 

The path I used to walk down was partly over-grown with brambles and long grass,  but was still passable. People had always used it before but seems no-one uses it now, perhaps as it is overlooked quite closely by the new build houses, and there is an alternative nearby. I made one pass vertical format north to south, as from years before, ten paces between shots, and at the bottom switched to horizontal aspect for the return leg. Having done so much editing recently as the images were being made I was mentally re-sizing them in photoshop and loading them onto pages in Scribus desk top publishing programme. Past, present and future merging into one.

Back home, later, around dusk I suddenly got the idea that a better closing chapter;  as the daylight faded and the glow of yellow house lights were coming on in windows.  So I went back. One of the last times I did these shoots, or maybe the very last time, I had been confronted by a young guy, a house-holder, challenging me over the right to take a photograph of his house and warning that the police were on their way etc., etc,. I had completed my run to the end (camera shake issues) but it was an incident that made me nervous going back. And yes, soon after starting the evening shoot, and about six frames in, this time a woman out front of her house shouted something at me for taking pictures. It was a sour note to end on but end of the fence project it was.