Skip to main content

Focal plane


It's a sunny January afternoon. Bedsheets are on the line and my tealight-powered flowerpot heater is on high. Today was supposed to be the day I go shopping for clothes (to try and look a bit more presentable at work) and maybe even buy fresh food but having got a camera a couple of weeks ago the urge to take photographs is far, far stronger. Of the same old thing, but even so.

The camera is a Canon EOS M, the second in as many months. The first one I got had a field curvature issue and although this copy has a particle of debris inside the LCD, which is a bit distracting, at least it takes in-focus photographs all the way across the frame. I really like the compact size (esp. for an APS sized sensor) and with the crisp 22mm lens, it fits in my coat pocket easily. Why that it matters that it should fit in my coat pocket I don't know - and when considering photographers like Timothy O'Sullivan hauling a wagon load of equipment around the United States in the 19th Century... well I know my place in the scheme of things.

Subject same as a week ago; newly built houses viewed from the trees that exist just beyond the boundary of the new estate, trees which will comprise the view for future occupants.  And questions over how to photograph things are ever-present (Dusseldorf or not Dusseldorf).  I think shallow depth of field comes under the not Dusseldorf way of looking at things.  The sunshine fading as I flicked the aperture to f2.2.