Skip to main content

The inevitability of winters


This evening when I got home from work I noticed one of the neighbour's cats crouched in my back garden.  It wasn't its usual daydreamy manner of sitting but it seemed sternly hunched, its body taut.  When I went over it it sloped a short distance away, keeping close to the ground, staring back over its shoulder.

This summer a pair of wood pigeons have been nesting in one of the disused chimney pots on next door's roof - I can't figure out how they both squeeze down in there but they found a way.  Yesterday afternoon I noticed for the first time two young birds had appeared - a family now!  The 'fledglings'  stood together on the next chimney along - so they'd made it that far - and were taking in the view beneath them and looking slightly overwhelmed by the neighbourhood stretching out below and above them.  If I was one of those birds I'd be more than slightly anxious about my first few attempts at flight.  The first short hop might have been a lucky success but perhaps the next leap could be all the way down.  Birds must have to leap those first few times like a gambler throwing dice, fully open to the possibility of failure.  They stood like kids who had climbed up to the top diving board at a swimming pool and who hoped no-one had noticed their ascent as they dallied, wondering what they were doing there.

So, yes, in my garden today were the remains of one of the young birds.  A ruffled wing, a scattering of grey and white feathers, part of the torso, bloody and bony, and a decapitated head with the oesophagus attached like a dried up worm.  The head was unexpectedly small, with a tiny dark eye, as if still watching the world from its unique vantage point.