Skip to main content

Unstitching

Last Sunday I spent at least ten hours trying to stitch together 60 photographs, without either success or interesting failure.  Perhaps I should have read how to use the software first but after a certain amount of wasted time it became psychologically inconceivable to stop and start learning. 

Today I attempted, slightly less ambitiously, to stitch 5 images, but maintaining the same approach of not finding out how to use the software first (Hugin is definitely not the most intuitive programme, is all I can say in my excuse).  Nah, still no joy but at least it failed at one point in a way that I liked.  I took screenshots, the only way to record what happened inside the panorma preview window; multiple images seemed simultaneously to have all their pixels smeared laterally, in depth as they were overlaid one on top of the other, in various stack order depending on a row of numbers that I clicked through on a largely random basis.

I think this sort of file-fail is not uncommon and remember a review of a show in America in 2012 by Gerhard Richter of something very similar - but on a huge scale.  These screenshot images might be printable up to a few inches in size.

Richter DLK review link