Skip to main content

In front of the camera

One of the things that trans self-portraits offer (for those of us who have not really 'come out') is some form of compensation to living life in a discrete way, out of sight.  When that alternative self remains routinely invisible then the photograph is alternative validation.  Before, like most people, I guess, I was never particularly comfortable in front of the camera, it seemed like you have to put on an act, but now I'm not bothered : )

Stephen, a friend from my photography course years ago, just sent me this studio pic he took of me back then, which made me laugh.  I recognise the appearance - hm, yep that's me - but I don't identify with the person in the picture, his concerns, what he occupied his time with... it seems like someone else.  And I have no recollection of posing for this photo.

I just ordered a book by Lee Friedlander (b. 1934) One of the unusual things about his lifetime of taking eclectic photos is the recurrance of self-portraiture; images which are always quirky and always unflattering - perhaps that was his solution to the fact that it is usually felt to be unmasculine to want to take photographs of yourself.