Skip to main content

Timetables of the unconscious mind

Everything is on the internet.  Yesterday I looked up timetables for the Moon, and perhaps not coincidentally, they look similar to tidal charts.  From them I could see what time it would appear on the horizon and what time it would dip back below it - and work out when would be be OK to go and take photos (9pm - 2am).

Just after scheduled Moonrise I went outside and looked around (all 360 degrees, having no idea where it would appear) and found it waiting, on time.

Every hour or so I'd go back out and check it's trajectory in the sky, then went and sneaked in to the local construction site, knowing my light source was sorted. I even remembered to bring a piece of string so I could lower my tripod down to the ground on the other side from the top of the 8' high fence before jumping down after it.

The Moon suddenly seems vital for several reasons.  It is good for light to make photographs by but is importantly a powerful symbol from female art, which also suggests the role of the sub/unconscious mind and which is literally home to the reality of dreams found in sleep - where alternatives to everyday rational states come into being.