Skip to main content

middle of the afternoon



Sunday afternoon and the time had come to 'sneak in'.  I sometimes get more nervous than others and this time I was pretty nervous.  I went round through the 'back door' as usual.  Through shoulder high nettles and thistles (pricking and pumping formic acid even through my clothes) until I was soaked in sweat.  I saw a vehicle and assumed it was security parked up. It was probably hard to stay awake on a warm August afternoon.  I still felt very nervy.

Making it across an overgrown, circuitous route to the far end of the site I tripped out of a copse almost into the path of a young guy.  To use the most over-used word of the British gold medal athletes, 'unbelievable'.   I just said hello and turns out he was a young guy doing research on the impact on the local animal populations.  He was annoyed that birds were dying, 'someone's shooting them'.  We wandered along together for a while, accidentally herding some 'Hawaiin geese' in front of us till they started to honk noisily.  I remember from somewhere that geese make great guard dogs.  So we went our separate ways.

The construction work I was there to photograph had mostly finished.  The image of a wall above is a detail from a colossal new warehouse/factory that is almost ready for use.  It's topographic calm totally unrelated to the stressy slog to get to it.  

On the way back out I wanted to detour to an even bigger related site but I caught sight of two men who'd have seen me cross a stretch of open land to get to it so retreated, annoyed with myself.  Once back out and on the main road I circle the perimeter and, physically exhausted, toddled up to the front and despite the noise of generators and gas turbines and some parked cars around I wandered around the edge where I wanted to be and, even if the photos are nothingy, at least I had the satisfaction of knowing I made it, despite the anxiousness being set to HIGH all day.

And I got to wear my new boots.