Skip to main content

Basics

I'm away from home for a few days and took my camera along on a trip to the local supermarket - Sainsburys - to take photos of their own brand value range products, called BASICS.  I was using a slightly larger digicam than I have previously taken along for these store shoots.  It was still a small camera but it felt very conspicuous in use and eventually security arrived to insist that I desist. I know there is no point in arguing but I still find myself explaining that I wasn't taking pictures of people only the products, so why is it a problem?'  Maybe I imagine they will throw in the towel and apologise for disturbing me. But no.  No. No. No.

The guy was very pleasant, more puzzled that I was asking for clarification than anything and finding that he had to resort to two groundless points that even while he was saying them (with quiet assurance) he must have been thinking 'my mates will think I'm a total div coming out with this crap'.  His reasons for stopping me taking photographs were:

1. They are our brand products.

2. You are photographing the prices.

We were looking each other in the eyes.  He had wide pupils and was being non-pushy.  I was smiling.  I put my camera away and bought a fresh baguette. Wine.  And cake (s).

The real shopping experience.  2nd best choice.