Skip to main content

Wood

The prospect of putting some prints on the wall of a gallery has caused me to (over?) analyse the presumably straightforward step of framing and presenting work.  I had misunderstood what 'big' meant and last week's work on an idea for a scaffolding structure with a ten foot wide PVC banner tied to it turns out to have been a bit too big.  By about eight feet.

I am now getting carried away with the idea of making my own 'rudimentary' frames, smaller and simpler - I came across a small length of scaffolding today - it weighed a ton.  And a trip to B&Q this afternoon to look at all the trade woods they have in stock was something I've been looking forward to for the last couple of days.  So when people at work asked yesterday if I was doing anything exciting this weekend I could answer 'Yes, looking at some wood.'  And not be totally boring for once.

I found out a little from watching a few vids on Youtube how to actually make a frame and may or may not attempt proper corners - I think I might need a compound mitre saw.  I was struggling with the issue of cutting a groove - which needs a table saw or a router, as far as I can tell.  It's early days and if I keep going with this idea I'll ask curator R for a sanity check before setting up production in the shed.