Skip to main content

Day Out Out

Yesterday was a good day.  Up long before dawn to travel down to London, drop off my print at the Quarters Cafe in Highgate and go off and get ready for the opening of the Uncertain States show there that evening.  I've been a bit to-ing and fro-ing about going cross-dressed but as I had enough time to get ready properly I felt I had no excuse.  Fear wasn't sufficient to stop me doing it. Only when I was walking down the street to the train station and not quite certain of my centre of gravity in boots with high heels that I felt a bit less sure I'd get through.  And once on the train and heading back into London did it cross my mind I was getting further and further away from the safety of male clothes left behind.  It's the sort of hint of panic reminscent of extremely embarrasing situtations experienced in dreams sometimes in one's life.  When you feel vulnerable.

As it is winter the evening's are dark which means a little less scrutiny than at other times when walking around.  And some people were nice, a waitress in a restaurant addressing me as female, for instance.

Photographer/curator Richard Ansett was terrific to chat to and it was a pleasure to meet one or two of the other contributors there - I wish I'd circulated more. And the person at the end was so lovely to speak to -  I wished I could have stayed longer.