Skip to main content

Old New Topographics

Online I just came across the work of a Topographics-style US photographer Ray Mortenson, whose name vaguely rings a bell but I've can't remember actually seeing his photographs before - or if I did I just plain forgot.


'Meadowlands' was a series he made in the early 80's at an industrial site.



There is a terrific description on the DLKCollection website:

Comments/Context: I'll bet if you did a quick study of the visitors to Ray Mortenson's new show, a decent percentage would exhibit the following behavior: drift in, scan the walls in one continuous circular movement (like being on a moving walkway), and then exit without registering much more than a cursory summary: big pictures of middle grey garbage. The reason I think this is happening is that these images defy a quick ADD reading, and only reveal themselves after slow, elemental looking, when this unruly mess of hard, dirty ugliness is quietly transformed into something astoundingly beautiful.