Skip to main content

Krrr-ashh

Sometimes you look at the work of a favourite photographer and feel nothing for the work, almost a kind of repulsion.  Same with music, there are times when the bands you love are unbearable to listen to.  Maybe it's over familiarity or else being human means that one's response is not totally consistent.  It's a bit alarming the first time you experience those sudden disconnected feelings, as if you made a mistake and all along the work you admired was in fact meaningless.  A little while later you can be blown away by it again and appreciative of what they have done.  It's even possible to go off chocolate.  For a day or two.  Well an hour or two.

Last Saturday the wheels came off my motivation for taking photos - this year has been one of pretty consistent productivity for me, so I've been busy and the perseverence has been high.  As Englebert Humperdinck once said about achieving success in anything, it takes 'perseverence, perseverence, perseverence'.  I wonder if he does photography?

I was 99.8 per cent disillusioned with my photographs, the slight optimism that what I was doing might have some value vanished.  Whoo.

Maybe it's like writer's block.  I didn't want to take another picture ever again.  So I've spent four days reading camera reviews (like you do when you have decided never to take a photo ever again) and generally avoiding looking at or thinking about my photos cos I hated them.  Today I had a peek at a few - just to check corner softness, chromatic aberration and other non-aesthetic tech-y stuff - and was surprised that of the few I opened I didn't feel my skin crawl at seeing them this time.  It was OK.  I have no idea if I'll like them another day but survived exposure to my own work this evening.  Phew.

(Oh - A big, warm hello to MM if you make it to my blog - and for helping me make it this far <3)