Skip to main content

Garry Winogrand's addiction

Garry Winogrand is famous, among other things, for being one of the world's most profilic photographers.  John Szarkowski attempted a posthumous edit for him, which must have been incredibly gruelling seeing as how it involved millions of shots.  It's hard to conceive of how and why someone could have taken so many photographs.  Until you realise you have started to develop an addiction to the act of shooting.  The light was poor all weekend until six o'clock this evening after a little rain and the cloud cover thinned right out.  It was fading fast but I grabbed my cameras and was out on my motorbike heading out of town within 15 minutes. It was like a pent up, anxiety-ridden neurotic need to do it.  Completely irrational and edgey.  I went to a new business park build I'd seen a few weeks ago - more extensive clearing of agricultural and woodland to make way for warehouses and road widening.  The sun was dipping low and after a chat with the security guy, Warren, who said no to me going onto the site, I made my way around the perimeter wire fencing.  The W380 lens fits through the gaps easily - one definite advantage of an ultra-compact camera the size of a bank card.  I took enough to feel it had been worth coming - the results didn't matter too much - though getting one useful shot would be reassuring -  what did matter was that I'd made the effort and got out and took something. I know the compulsion aspect has become more prominently lately - it's kinda funny in a way - but I felt a deeper understanding for Wingorand than ever before.