Skip to main content

Body & Shed

Preparing for a dressing-up shoot can take up to two days now - as for the false eyelashes I got yesterday, assuming I can manage to put them on, that's another ten minutes to factor in.  But, beign impatient, I rushed a series of 'test shots' yesterday afternoon (and some more today) as the idea was to be anonymous so the whole make up palava was not needed.

As usual the English summer daylight temperature was warming up and cooling down all the time so most of my white balances were inaccurate even moments after I'd hit the timer and walked 2 metres away and counted to ten.  Even so, it was an enjoyable shoot and a welcome change from using the bedroom upstairs.  I had to keep the door open as the camera was positioned there to give me sufficient distance for framing.  The sounds of the neighbours coming and going, often only a few metres away, was a bit disconcerting (I tried not to make any sounds to attract attention but could occasionally sense eyes peering through the thick foliage or from windows high above - I possibly imagined it, dunno, it puts me off a bit, though).  Having said that it was also a tiny bit liberating 'being me' in a sort of more public place/sort of outside.

These shots might seem even more ridiculous than usual but do have a conceptual aspect to them, to do with the shed being a place a male traditionally is associated with; constructing, isolating himself to pursue some pet project or hobby.  In my case that project is to make an adjustment to my actual maleness, the thing I am fixing up is another me.  With a bit of this and a bit of that comes a transformation to a feminised self.  A shed can be useful for something like that, too.






.