Skip to main content

sixth fence

I cycled to photograph this row of security fences four times yesterday and, between down-pours, twice more today. Looking at the pictures on my eMac at home each time immediately afterwards I was again and again trying to figure out the best way of going about it to get a better result. With these last two I was hoping ten hours of rain would have made the earth embankment behind the fences a darker tone.

Most times the sky has been a typical bare, north european sky in October, almost monotone.

The compulsion to keep going back seemed familiar, it was the same sort of anguish to push on from years ago, disregarding endless doubts just to get something done, whether it was absurd or not.

There is a row of little houses not far off one end of this site and anyone there noticing me must have been increasingly concerned, what with my constant coming and goings.  Feeling observed doesn't help with taking enough time to hold the camera straight for 32 pictures going one way, then 32 coming back the other way.  But I'm not averse to little flaws, they are important.

The intriguing unit of the fence here, each panel imposing a frame, one after the other, repetitively.

And as for the fence, at one location or another over the years, it has been a recurring key subject for me.