Skip to main content

Thieves like us

The demolition site near my house that was a factory a couple of years ago and which is now becoming a big housing estate has occasionally had gaps in its security fencing. I don't know who makes them but I know I'm not the only one sneaking in there and I guess there is some thieving going on. Now and again the gaps are all closed up and they did a good job the last time so I thought that was probably the last time I'd get in. But this evening even though the sunlight had dipped low it was still powerful and it was too nice to not go for a walk - and just checked the construction site on my route - and yeah a couple of new gaps had re-appeared, just one of them wide enough for me to squeeze through, and only jiust. Whoever is creeping in there is pretty skinny.

I never expect to see anything new but there are always signs of progress, whether new foundations or more and bigger hills of earth and rubble. I  might be doing my own thing but am becoming more aware that I have incidentally produced a record of the transformation of this site.  Not too long from now both the origins and the upheaval process of transformation will seem historical, and largely forgotten, particuarly in the specific details. Even for me it's only in earlier photographs that I could remember what had so recently existed there.