Skip to main content

FORMAT 2013: FACTORY

The Format biennial in Derby next year has the theme Factory.

A few years ago I realised that becoming trans seemed almost an evolutionary development for a man.  One aspect of the archetype male was perhaps defined in the industrial revolution and had perhaps historically declined along with the heavy industry, to be replaced by a less obviously masculine construct - permitting even a feminised idea of self.  My early montages included factory locations as a way of contrast, but later an interest in the powerful personal impact of needing to express myself through transgender identity felt best articulated by images of demolition (often of those factories) and construction, particularly earthworks, which took over and separated out.

I'd like to try for the Derby show, so I'm back to painstakingly drawing paths in Photoshop and montaging two frames into one.