Skip to main content

Flowers in the breeze

I've a sappy rom-com novel from the tea-room at work I've borrowed which makes for an enjoyable time-out on these rain-free warm days. It's breezy but pleasant sat in the garden. Near to where I sit are some tall skinny plants with clusters of tiny purple flowerheads, nothing much to look at really but bumblebees seem totally drawn to them, there are always at least two hurriedly picking their way through them, like old ladies in the first few minutes of a jumble sale. With the stems flailing in the breeze it's impressive how they manoeuvre their way to an efficient landing, extract the nectar/pollen and move on to the next one with no hesitation or difficulty. It obviously made me start thinking of what it would be like for a bumblebee to experience zero gravity. I think they might like it.