Skip to main content

Oil and rust

I'm off work this week and the dressing up session I'd planned for today (all my ironing done on Sunday evenng) fell through.  My ancient Yamaha DT125R trail bike had an overheating front disk when I used it last.  The back disk was warm to the touch, too after - and after just a couple of hundred yards.  I remember at the MOT brake drag was mentioned but I assumed this was cos the bike had been in storage for several months, and would loosen up with a bit of use.  Nah.  I stripped the calipers down today and one of the front pads had worn down, at one corner down to the steel backing : O

It's a heavy bike and getting it off the ground to remove the rear wheel on my own was a big effort.  Brake fluid in my eye wasn't much fun either, lol.  Ouch.

I'll finish up tomorrow (hopefully) if the parts I've ordered arrive.  The general griminess that comes from working on the bike was alarming.  My hands were in an atrocious state and I had enough smears of dirty grease to consider taking a photo, for the record.  It was sweaty work and after several hours there was a definite ache to be stereotypically feminine, which seems a million miles away right now.

It was not so long ago...