Skip to main content

Bike love

One of the most viewed news stories on the web this week was about somebody being arrested and charged for having sex with their bike. Turns out the story is from 2007. Who knows if there is much truth in it but hey, at the mo I can quite relate to bike-love, cos I just got a new bike. 

My last one fell to pieces when setting off at some traffic lights on the way to work last week. One moment the lights turned green and I pushed hard down on the pedals and the next there was a pile of scrap metal lying on the road where I expected to find a bicycle. I had a feeling I should have oiled it. 

After two days being a pedestrian I was manically ordering a new one despite being usually incredibly indecisive and can procrastinate for months over most decisions. Walking is hard work. It's like running flat out, I found. I collected my boxed Bilboa Vertigo from Tesco Express and carried it 100 yards across the road to the office.

Next day having almost recovered from carrying it across the road I went in early and spent 45 minutes assembling it  in a room where the window wouldn't open and the sun was shining in watching what I was doing and offering what was fairly useless advice apart from the thing about the way around to put the springs on the front wheel quick release - thanks for that, Sun. 

I got to ride home and it was heaven and earth and moon and stars. I didn't get tempted to take it straight to bed put Coldplay on and fuck it when I got home, though (and haven't since). But having a cup of tea and promising to take it out later was quite romantic. And that's what we did.   BTW while it's not a he or a she it is a construction.