Skip to main content

Through the gate and into the light

I wasn't feeling well enough to go out but the big, beautiful sun was eventually too tempting. After taking the weekly though-the-gate picture of the nearby closed agri-chemicals factory I cycled on to the big closed factories being demolished about half a mile away. All these buildings have become relics just in the last few years. Unusually there was no-one on-site but the access gate for the demolition crew was open so I had an easy in.

With access limited I'm usually photographing into the light at these places and limited to very few viewpoints. As for the restriction to contre-jour it's not an effect I like or the lens/sensor of the tiny camera I shoot with can cope with very well, usually flaring out splodges of pink and purple into the shadows and badly over or under exposing. I'm trying to adjust to it being OK.  It was gently warm for February but the intense bright sunshine wasn't strong enough to quite lift the vapour even from the early afternoon air.

They must have a mile of this security fencing.