Skip to main content

let there be sky and clouds where once you were

It was a sunny day and on my way to the supermarket detoured to take a look at the nearby factory that I've photographed on various occasions over the last few years. It was the tallest industrial structure around here and when viewing the city from uphill it stood out for its size. It was now gone.

Looking up where the imposing building had been there was an open expanse of blue November sky with clouds slipping by, marking time. I could picture myself a few months ago, up seventy or eighty feet, under the roof joists, on the narrow metal walkway, almost frozen with nervousness as I'm scared of heights and telling myself that the chances of the whole thing collapsing at the precise moment I was on it were pretty low. In another factory building along that road I could hear structural metalwork collapsing as that building was in its turn being pulled apart.