Skip to main content

The washing up situation

The 'big little book' turned out to be bigger than I thought, it's well over a thousand pages now.   The washing up is stacked up in the kitchen, having reached emergency level four days ago.  It's worse than just rinsing food off plates and wiping knives clean immediately before use, yesterday I had to resort to tea in my two special cups (ones with pictures of high heeled shoes and handbags on them). No!!!!!!!!

I think I have also missed out on lots of crummy but entertaining reality TV (including most of Strictly Come Dancing), and the lovely sunshine.  Just sitting occasionally outside while soaking the print-heads in J-cloth dampened with window cleaner spray, reading more of Edward Weston's diary.  I keep telling myself not to judge him harshly - after all the values lived by in the 1920's must have been different from today - but nevertheless!

Interestingly when he got word that Steiglitz had seen some of his recent work and while admiring the technique dismissed the subject matter as irrelevant, of course Weston fumed - but having been looking at the photographs from that time I think Steiglitz was correct. 

No-one likes to be told anything but their latest work is possibly the most important thing they have ever had the privilege of seeing.  Although this guy showing his book to Alec Soth handles a less than encouraging response (when it finally comes) impressively well.  I'm sooooo tempted to keep an eye out for any Soth portfolio review/workshops in the UK and take along my 'big little book', insisting he looks through every page.  Carefully.

PS.  I have now done the washing up.