Skip to main content

People photographs

I used to have two online shopping compulsions (well three counting cameras), but mostly clothes (dresses, skirts, tops, heels etc), and photo books.  The clothes buying thing has faded a lot recently but the photography books thing has got worse.  When I get them I leave them for a while then on the offchance edgily flick through them for one or two minutes then put them away, forever usually.

I pulled down a Nicholas Nixon book of portraits a couple of days ago to confirm if they really were the best photographic series of portraits of people I'd ever seen, or if I had over estimated them.  Photographing people became his preoccupation shortly after being included in the seminal Rochester New Topographics show in 1976.  His tender open hearted connection to the dispossessed, elderly, sick and dying and vulnerable is probably still unsurpassed, but admittedly an approach that perhaps has simply become, for a variety of reasons, marginalised over time.