Skip to main content

inevitability of life

... solitary, sat on a little bench, a plank on two stacks of bricks against a wall, a folded sheet for a cushion, early afternoon sunshine, the flow of air through the trees, eyes closed and the unexpected steady tolling of a distant church bell (which I've never heard around here before) fading and swelling on the ebb and flow of air, a cocophany of dogs in neighbours' gardens wears itself out, a single propellor aeroplane, men playing sport, and the breeze blowing across my face, the birds quietening, a bee, the lazy flap of bed-linen on the washing line.  Eyelids open to discover the bursting light on dark leaves, orange and yellow flowers my mum planted two decades ago, folding into lavender, she used to pause here, too. I know when my life is almost over, feeling those last hours or minutes slip away, these miracles will be longed for most of all.