Skip to main content

Preparing to be unseen

I've just spent an hour shaving my legs and arms and face and washing my hair and am about to apply a little make up and then go take some trans self-portraits in my spare bedroom.  The attention to detail in all this preparedness seems counter-intutive, seeing as how I am planning on occupying only the most minimal part of the photographs, lining myself up at the edge of the frame so that I am hardly in the shot at all.  If I was more conceptually-minded I'd probably do my best to be the person I want to be then stand outside the edge of the frame altogether, or simply press the shutter while stood behind the camera and tripod: being the person I want to be at the moment the exposure is made but not representing myself at all, avoiding all the complexities that would ensue, and leaving a space for either expectations or imagination.