Skip to main content

Y e l l o w n e s s

My interest in supermarket branded value range packaging is such that when Morrisons, my local store, changed their cereal boxes last week I reacted with open mouthed shock.  It was quite disorientating and as much as anything I wondered 'why hadn't I been consulted?'.  Or at least forewarned of this seismic change that had been coming.  Don't they know I am an interested party?  It was their utilitarian cornflakes box that first caught my eye and now it is far less innocuous and sort of trying to blend in as a just another regular product, rather than highlighting it's difference, the cheapo alternative.

The design upgrade includes an illustration - with red chunks of rubble representing toasted flakes of corn, toppling into a bowl made of raspberry jelly - a fail despite the ineptness presumably meant to indicate cheap 'n cheerful.  I converted to their cornflakes recently so I will soon be one of the few people to have any of the Yellow Edition - surely a collector's item in the near future. A further downside is that what was a low sugar and low salt product has suddenly had a boost in sugar to make it similar to Kellogg's - which is maxed out on both.