Skip to main content

Composites

The Kelli Connell pictures are beautiful and wonderfully executed.  Taking the photographs at the actual location rather than under different lighting conditions helps but it's still problematic as in the time the model takes to change her appearance it will have changed at least a little.  Having two models (twins maybe?) would be far easier - but the series would then have an entirely different meaning.

I had a look for some old shots I made some time ago - combinations of shots taken on location with self-portraits from my front bedroom (sometimes with myself as twin sisters), often taken weeks apart.  The clumsy mis-matched feel to these montages did not bother me, too much.

The industrial buildings in the shots where I have a khaki skirt on were demolished this year.  They were a huge, century old foundary complex that employed thousands at the height of its productivity.  There is not a brick or girder left standing now.  Those old 'masculine' heavy industries have been in decline in the UK for a long time, a process of change that still strikes me as profound when it comes to considering ideas of male identity.