Skip to main content

Ethical minefield

There is a tradition in 'issue' photography where sterotypes are challenged by presenting those sterotypes and, presumedly, deriding them in the process.  I've not really been tempted to go there as it seems to me it's just re-iterating those prejudiced views rather than effectively deconstructing them.  So, a worthy effort at best.  I've tried to avoid presenting any transvestite cliches - and usually feel worried if I slide into implying anything more than just a positive experience of being able to express myself, finding a liberation albeit in an empty room via the acknowledgment of a lens and sensor.  It's a digital conduit to the outside world while being able at some level to manage the experience.

There are some camp tranny fave looks that are hard to resist not at least trying out, though. For me, so far, they are the bride in a white wedding dress, the slut, the maid and today, some kind of schoolgirl/young woman in her first job kind thing.  (One day I'd also love to find out what it's like to wear a pink satin Playboy bunny girl outfit.) As for the school look we live in a world where peadophilia is a reality I'm not too sure this is a look I should really be appropriating, I'm not sure.  Maybe I'm just scared of accusations of complicity - and fear is not always the most valid reason not to do something.  Unexpectedly in these clothes I had a sense of confidence, empowerment.  I find one of the benefits of cross-dressing is demystification, where there are unexpected insights.  The practical detail of being female is pretty obscure to men, and it is an unexpected way to get to know more about what being female actually entails, both the things required but also then having the sense of being the 'other' and subsequently having a fuller, more rounded experience of life.  It has started to spill over into post-dressing-up everyday life in a satisfying way.