Skip to main content

Books of photos

I buy photobooks and flick through them for twenty seconds when I get them and then put them on a shelf never to open them again.  Despite this I keep buying more.  Today's purchases are Ed Ruscha 'Photographs' and Cindy Sherman 'Centerfolds'.  Like buying music that I liked when I was a teenager or in my twenties - 'Old Music' - this is 'Old Photography' and I'm always a bit annoyed with myself that I don't 'move on'. 

The prospect of a 440 page Sophie Calle book is perhaps a move in the right direction. Her compulsive nature - which she describes as 'rigorous' - and her sensuality are qualities that intrigue me and that I feel re-assured by. Her diptych here with the bed is almost fetishistic, both of the objects and in the act of photographing. She was dumped by a lover by email and did a later piece about the pain of rejection. I wonder if this image was at the start of that affair, the miraculous emanating from the banal.